Sunday, September 29, 2013

Happy National Coffee Day!

A few minutes ago, I got a call from my mom. She was at our local grocery store and wanted to know if I needed anything (because she's wonderfully thoughtful). This particular grocery store happens to have a Starbucks right inside the front door. It's truly dangerous for those of us who enjoy over-priced lattes and organic teas with ridiculous names. But back to the point... As we were talking on the phone, she exclaimed that they were handing out free samples of coffee. I heard the barista in the background tell her that it's national coffee day. So that explains it! We sure have a lot of national day of somethin's in the US. Well, even though I made my own coffee this morning, I will probably go to Starbucks sometime today to indulge in this national day of celebration of the popular brewed beverage. Because let's face it, I have a hard time turning down a frilled up espresso drink. Oh! And don't forget- on days like today, there are often freebies or discounts to be found. Check out your local Krispy Kreme, Dunkin Donuts, Starbucks, or independent *coughhipstercough* coffee shop to see what they are offering today.

A few fun coffee facts:
  • According to some legends, coffee berries, which contain the bean that we roast and grind to brew our beloved beverage, were discovered by goats in the 9th century. It it said that an Ethiopian herdsman discovered these berries when he noticed his goats acting strangely after consuming them.
  • There are several other stories and legends that indicate where coffee may have originated. But, I believe it's safe to say that coffee was discovered somewhere in the middle east a really long time ago.
  • The darker the roast, the less caffeine the coffee contains.
  • The average caffeine content in an 8 ounce cup of generic, brewed coffee ranges from 95-200 mg depending on the roast and/or brewing process.
  • Coffee is the second most sold commodity in the world. Oil (petroleum; fuel) is the first. 
  • One of the most expensive types of coffee is Kopi Luwak. It is excreted by a particular species of wild cat in Sumatra. The going rate is around $100 for 4 ounces. That's right! Cat poop coffee can be yours for the low low price of $100! I bet that creepy Vince guy could sell it.
  • Coffee has been banned on several different occasions in various parts of the world. One of these occasions being in the 16th century by Muslim rulers because of it's stimulating effects. 
There you have it. Some random facts you already knew or didn't really need to know. Isn't learning fun?!

And now, onto the menu plan for the upcoming week! I'm sharing my meal plans because it has really held me accountable and helped me stay on track with our food budget and being prepared for the week. I don't assign a meal to a certain day, since I rarely know exactly what that day will bring about. I try to be sure there are some easier meals that I can whip up quickly if time has slipped away from me or if I'm feeling lazy. There might be one night we go out or order in. As for the rest of this week, we're having:

Bacon and cheddar chicken skillet 
spinach/peas
fruit

Stuffed meatballs
pasta with homemade marinara 
cheesy bread
side salads

French toast -OR- Pumpkin Waffles
bacon
homemade applesauce

Loaded baked potatoes
salad

Homemade calzones
pasta salad/side salad

Pork chops
sweet potato tots
squash/undetermined green vegetable
homemade applesauce

Other things that need to be made:
Canned tomatoes [A lady at the farmer's market offered me an amazing deal on her end-of-season tomatoes. We'll be canning those, then we will hopefully have enough tomatoes and soup base to last my whole family until spring.]
Bread
Rice krispies treats
Eggplant rollatini [to be frozen]

What are you making this week?


Sources and photo credits:

No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you!