Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Happy National Cheeseburger Day!



Or perhaps, Happy Piss Off Your Cardiologist Day! Whichever works for you.

 I woke up this morning and checked my Twitter feed like a good little social media addict to discover that today, is in fact, National Cheeseburger Day here in the good ole US of A- land of freedom and indulgence. There are a few restaurants giving away cheeseburgers, or at least giving a discount, to celebrate the occasion. But since we're on a budget, we're going to enjoy homemade versions. [See! I told you last time that I'd end up making burgers this week!]

I've eaten and made all kinds of burgers. I've made them with buffalo, chicken, turkey, and beef. We've topped them with blue cheese, provolone, classic American, cheddar, chevre, Ementaler and feta. Sometimes the cheese is on the inside, sometimes on the outside.We sometimes add bacon or an egg. I like a lot of veggies on mine. Charlie will tolerate pickles, but enjoys avocado. The cool thing about burgers is that they really are fantastically versatile. You can be so creative with them. A creative burger I've eaten that comes to mind is lean beef patty with arugula, goat cheese, and meyer lemon honey mustard. I had it at Bobby Flay's Burger Palace in New Jersey a few years back. It was great! But personally, I will always love a classic burger- Toasted bun, beef patty, American cheese, lettuce, tomato, and condiments (I like a light spread of mayo).

How do you like your burgers?

2 comments:

  1. Ring of pineapple on to, with a slice of swiss cheese melted over it. Nom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did avocado, tomato, and mayo with swiss.

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!