Sunday, January 9, 2011

Honesty

I'm just going to be honest. Instead of saying, "Oh yeah! I'll make that up to you!" or some such, I'm going to say, "Oops!" I attempted to write the 12 Days of Christmas Cooking (which I still believe was an awesome idea) and failed miserably. At about day 3 or 4, my personal to-do list was inching closer and closer to floor length and I couldn't ignore it any longer. So, my apologies for not completing it. I'm a bit disappointed in myself, but I will likely try again next year. This year? Something. Some time in the future!

Now? Now it's a brand new year. 2011 came in fairly quietly. I spent New Year's Eve and Day with friends and family not doing much of anything. It's nice when things just slow down and you don't have any more presents to wrap or travel plans to arrange. I've already made a few decisions and changes that make me feel very adult and proud of myself. I've also made some...well, now how should I put this? I'm not one to make resolutions, because I feel like I'm setting myself up for failure. So I'll say that I've set some goals for myself (in a culinary aspect as well as a general life aspect) that I hope to achieve between now and whenever I reach them.

Culinary goals for now and later:
  • Improve my knife skills- practice precise knife cuts so that I can not only make my food appealing to the eye, but to prep faster.
  • Cook or bake something at least once a week that is not school, GG, or work related-I want to cook or bake something because I want to experiment. This is going to help me with the next goal.
  • Write more-I want to write and test more recipes of my own.
  • Work on plate design
Those are just a few. I'm sure I'll be adding to that list, but I think it's a good start.

There are also some new projects that I will continue and/or complete. Howie and I are attempting to gain momentum and start recording Geeky Gourmet shows. I'm looking forward to that. I feel like it was another great idea that got abandoned and I don't want that at all. I think we'll pick it back up and set a more realistic schedule that allows us to create a great program without scrambling around like chickens with our heads cut off to make sure we get it posted.

I'm doing a 365 project as well and am hoping to share that here! I took the lead from my wonderful Aunts on this one. The idea is to create the same object in a different medium every day for a year. It should be a small craft or small daily project to ensure that you can get it done no matter how crazy your day is. I chose to create a new whisk every day. It seemed very fitting for me. I've had a lot of fun with it so far!


365 "Whisk Me Away" project day 6
Elle with a whisk
Photo taken by Charlie Figel with a Nikon D70

I hope that everyone's 2011 is off to a great start! I am optimistic about a great year and I hope y'all are, too.

Elle

1 comment:

  1. You know I'll be more than willing to help you with whatever, hon.
    I hope you succeed in your goals and kick a whole lotta butt.
    <3

    ReplyDelete

I'd love to hear from you!